London Royal Docks Open Water Swimming
2018 Winter Season starts on 1st October until 30th March
We pride ourselves in creating the safest environment in which to swim.
We test the water fortnightly and provide all the equipment you need to make sure you have an amazing experience with us.
We are lucky enough to be running our safety tagging system with NOWCA which comes with a ton of benefits for our open water swimmers.
Make sure you get yours before you arrive to swim with us for the first time.
You will need a NOWCA safety wristband to swim in London’s Royal Dock – This costs just £12 a year in addition to the swim session prices.
Ask about coaching sessions!
Directions / on Arrival
Location and How to Find Us
See TfL (transport for London) bus links running closest to Royal Victoria Station
You can use either of these addresses in your sat nav.1 Siemens Brothers Way, London, E16 1GB or 1 Dock Road, London, E16 1AG
The Royal Victoria Car Park (L2) offers 750 parking spaces a five-minute walk away and is located behind the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Western Gateway.Alternatively, you should be able to find free parking on DOCK Rd. (see aerial picture)
The Centre is within five minutes by taxi of London City Airport which serves over 30 destinations across the UK, Europe and the USA, with connections to the rest of the world through major European hubs.
By Cable Car
You can get to the Open Water Swimming direct via the Emirates Air Line Cable Car from the Greenwich peninsular.
By Underground and Docklands Light Railway(DLR)
The nearest station to the Centre is Royal Victoria Station (Zone 3) on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), only a three minute walk away from the LRDOWS (see aerial picture).
To reach the LRDOWS from the DLR, turn right out of Royal Victoria Station onto Seagull Lane. As you pass the Pumping Station you will come to a small roundabout and will see the Pontoon jutting out into the water, in between the Emirates SkyLine and The Oiler bar straight ahead of you.
Opening Times and Calendar
Winter swim sessions are available 3 times a week:
Tuesday 5-6.30pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am -12pm
From November, sessions will become pre-bookable only – find out more here.
Fancy a New Years Day Dip – find out more here.
Monday Night Race Night is now finished until May 2019 – find out more here
Please note Monday night is Race Night and is not open for general swimming
OWS Swim Squad is now finished until May 2019 – all abilities welcome – find out more here
We have a great selection of Zone3 wetsuits to hire!
looking for the competitive edge? We offer swim timing / coaching sessions and the three Triathlon course distances.
Water Testing and quality
The water is tested every two weeks against EU Bathing regulations to ensure the purity is perfect for open water swimming. So you don’t have to worry.
The water is slightly salty but really clean and pleasant to swim in.
You will find that it is a couple of degrees colder than the lakes and more similar to rivers. Come and try it out for yourself.
Dock2Dock Race 13th July 2019
Your Safety & the NOWCA Safety Wristband
Everyone who swims in the docks must have a NOWCA safety wristband. To purchase your wristband you must do this online Click Here . Swimmer Benefits of the NOWCA SAFETY WRISTBAND include:
- As a NOWCA swimmer you only ever have to provide your lake with emergency contact and medical details once, unless they change.
- Each time you swim at a NOWCA lake your swim will be timed and your distance recorded. You will be able to view this in your personal login area.
- You can purchase multiple swims at London Royal Docks Open Water Swimming venue, removing the need to take money with you each time.
- As a NOWCA member you can scan in and out of the water, quickly and without any paperwork.
- There are 22+ NOWCA lakes around the UK using this system. In some of our lakes who are running the NOWCA Kiosk you don’t need to go to reception before your swim.
- You will be able to participate in weekly NOWCAswim400m races. Your results appear in your log in area, as will other events.
- Your NOWCA venue can contact you with important schedule changes and information.
- Enjoy discounts from our NOWCA partners
5th October 2017
9th June 2015
Preparing to swim in open water for the first time Open water swimming is very…
9th June 2015
Choosing the right fit: It is important to consider the fit when buying a wetsuit…